One of the traditional means of removing calluses is pumice stone. This particularly applies to the hands and feet. Calluses arise primarily when the body wants to protect itself from heavy stress or dirt. However, this also applies if a certain part of the body is used incorrectly. In this article we would like to give you a little more insight into the pumice stone and show you how it should be used to remove annoying calluses.
The pumice stone – a natural product for removing calluses
When water and lava mix together, pumice stone is formed. It is a particularly light and abrasive stone, which can therefore be used excellently for removing dead skin and calluses . In addition, corns and calluses can also be treated with one so that these complaints no longer hurt too much.
Used for callus removal from ancient times to today
Even in ancient times, people knew about the great uses of pumice stones. Even there, this rock was considered an adequate means of removing calluses . Today, in 2020, the pumice stone is still used for foot care. As long as you know how to use it correctly, you can use the pumice stone almost every day.
A pumice stone can be used in many ways
As already mentioned, pumice is one of the natural volcanic rocks. It has a very low density, making it extremely light. This can be easily recognized by its many pores. It can even swim in water and is not only used for removing calluses. It is also used:
- in dental technology
- in horticulture
- and in the production of jeans (here these stones are used to wash out the color.
Where can you buy a pumice stone?
You can buy a pumice stone almost anywhere. This natural product can be found in drugstores, pharmacies, beauty salons and on the Internet. Some variants are available that have a practical suspension for easier handling. Of course, you can also buy synthetic pumice stones commercially, which are primarily used by diabetics. However, in contrast to the specimens that come from nature, they have the disadvantage that they wear out very quickly.
What needs to be taken into account when using pumice stones?
In order to sand the calluses off your body, a few things should be taken into account:
Before use, the following should be done:
- For faster and more effective application, a foot or hand bath should be taken beforehand. A very good pre-treatment is possible with a soap bath. You can also take a bath for the whole body.
- This first step softens the callus slightly
- It is very important that the feet or hands are dried well before the pumice stone treatment. Damp calluses cannot be easily scraped off.
Note: You should use your pumice stone carefully to avoid removing too much skin. Also be careful not to cause bleeding, as this could increase the risk of infection. If you feel any pain while using it, stop immediately.
After application the following should be done:
- After use, the pumice stone should be cleaned well, as the pores of the pumice fill with dead skin and dead skin. A bristle brush works very well for this.
- This applies equally to synthetic and natural pumice stone.
- You should also apply a soothing cream to the treated area after use. Creams with arnica or calendula extracts are very suitable, as they moisturize the skin and at the same time make it supple and smooth again.
Tips & tricks for using pumice stones
Most people use a pumice stone on their hands or feet to remove calluses. But it can also be used for other parts of the body.
Pumice stone for the neck and face
The skin on the neck and face is very sensitive. Therefore, you should apply very little pressure to these areas so that no redness or abrasions occur. For this we recommend you buy a double-sided pumice stone. This has a rough and a less rough side. The latter should be used for such a sensitive area. Simply apply this to the skin in a circular motion for about 15 seconds and your skin will be fresh again. Don't forget to apply cream afterwards.
The pumice stone and its advantages and disadvantages
The benefits of pumice stone
- It has been a tried and tested means of removing calluses since ancient times
- It is very cost-effective and a purely natural product
The disadvantages of pumice stone
- Severe calluses are difficult to treat with it (a callus rasp is necessary for pre-treatment)
- It only scrapes off a little dead skin and calluses, making it more suitable for hands, face and neck.
- Treatment with pumice is relatively time-consuming, which is particularly noticeable during the preparation and follow-up.
Conclusion: Maintain skin health with pumice
You can of course find the right bath additive for your bathroom in advance in our online shop . There you will also find many soothing oil baths, alkaline baths and shower gels for your daily body care. It's best to take a look now!